My Blog List

Sunday 31 October 2010

style vs fashion

Ok, if I can't get Jane Bikin's legs I'll make do with a bag like hers in this photo...




Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.
Quentin Crisp



Fashion can be bought.
Style one must possess.
Edna Woolman Chase


It's easy to see which is the winner. I don't like being told what to do by anybody (is this a Capricorn thing?) so there's no way I am being dictated the latest fashions. Of course one can't help be influenced slightly, merely picking up a magazine or watching a film, or strolling down your local high street.

One of my favourite books on style is The Cheap Date Guide to Style, I can't recommend it enough! It's experimental and fun, and focuses on clothing and accessories being a source of experimental pleasure!


So let's start each day like a child sifting through a dressing up box! So next time I get cross at myself for having schizophrenic dress tendencies I will just kindly remind myself, it's meant to be fun...Mondays when I dress like a mod, Thursdays as if I have just come back from Woodstock and Saturdays when I'm dressed like a swirly psyche mod, and Sundays when I look like a indie kid. Dressing up becomes so much more when you absorb your inspiration from literature, art, music and history! It becomes so much more fun and more a part of you, an extension of your personality! Is this sounding pretentious?! I hope not!


Enjoy and have fun in that dressing up box!

PS what's happened to the good old British jumble sale?!!

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely have to check out that book, it sounds wonderful. I agree style isn't something that you can buy, it is something that comes naturally.

    Hahahah you don't sound pretentious! I love taking inspiration from so many different things and creating some sort of character!

    ReplyDelete

Pleased to meet you, hello and welcome to Porcelain Doll Vintage

This blog is a forum for my ramblings and mutterings that tend to revolve around creativity, music and the 1960s! Enjoy! I buy, collect and sell vintage dresses and other lovely pretty vintage things!

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
A 1960s dolly bird.

Search This Blog

Twitter / TBT_Vintage