My Blog List

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Second post of the day - more vintage orientated!

As my last post went slightly off on a tanjent I am going to write just a short list of a few of my favourite websites and local vintage shops.

But before then can I just mention this analogue camera website!
I need a new camera! I love polaroid film but am struggling to find some at a affordable price at the moment. This is the loveliest website I have found full of vintage reproduction cameras http://www.lomography.com/.

At the moment I have a straight point and shoot digital mini polaroid camera, a 70s polaroid, and a 1960s brownie. I really need a decent digital slr so I am on the look out!

As for vintage stores I like, I will begin with my local stores here in Nottingham, UK. I will write a list of my favourite vintage sellers online another day.

Golden Cage
A lovely little cubby hole of a store, really friendly and knowledgeable staff. The shop looks like a old aladdins cave - just how I like my shops. The shop is actually primarily a costumiers, and Nottinghams' oldest at that. When I last popped in they has some lovely 60s dresses, a few 60s and 70s faux fur coats and some really sweet sequinned 60s shell tops - all items are labeled by era and very reasonably priced.

Backlash Clothing
Backlash clothing doesn't have a website, and is hidden away in Nottingham city centre up some backstairs! This hidden gem has the occassionally has some really special 1960s dresses, and 60s ladies suits - it nearly always has a good array of winter coats also. Some of the items are not vintage, merely secondhand cast offs, but it's always worth a look and the rummage is part of the fun. The shop also has a bargain bin at the back that sgouldn't be ignored and it also has a good selection of hats for all seasons.

Also be sure to speak to the friendly owner should you pop in and check out the gig posters and flyers plastering the staircase, there's some great artwork and some interesting gigs and venues to check out that you may otherwise not have heard of.

Celias Vintage Clothing
The website doesn't do this lovely shop justice, so don't let that dissuade you! also don't be put off when you walk through the front door and see fancydress, go upstairs and you will find two beautiful rooms crammed with vintage delights from the 1900s to the 1980s each perfectly pressed and labeled by era.

All items are freshly laundered which makes a nice change when buying some vintage - but Celias is no thrift store it really is a cut above the rest. All clothes are beautifully displayed and the shop is light, clean and airy - often with some swing music playing. Celias is a easy to buy shop, depending on how you like to shop for vintage - this may make it more fun or less fun for you. I personally love a rummage I love thrift hunting and scouring packed rails and then discovering that perfect find is even more rewarding!

Celias have taken the effort out of vintage hunting and are definitely a must-visit!

Two of the best buys from Celias has to be their never ending supply of original 1940s seamed stockings, unworn in their original packaging and their immense rainbow glove collection - any colour you can think of they sell; short cotton 1960s gloves for great prices!

That's it for now! I can think of another few and will round up with them shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleased to meet you, hello and welcome to Porcelain Doll Vintage

This blog is a forum for my ramblings and mutterings that tend to revolve around creativity, music and the 1960s! Enjoy! I buy, collect and sell vintage dresses and other lovely pretty vintage things!

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
A 1960s dolly bird.

Search This Blog

Twitter / TBT_Vintage